In a rare departure from the disco infused, sweat inducing, up all night dance and party till your feet drop off type of music you may have been accustomed to seeing on this site, I've decided to feature a different genre/artist that I've recently been introduced to. And enjoy just the same.


Much along the lines of The Duke Spirit, who I've featured before, Spygirl hits you hard with a penetrating female lead voice, backed by melodic harmonies, a driving piano, and a tightly woven knit of extremely talented instrumental support.

From the band's myspace:
The Vancouver-based 6 piece group was born out of a musical bond between founders Koralee Tonack (lead vocals, guitar) and Jane Gowan (trumpet, keyboards). The two initially formed Time Waits - the acoustically charming mother of today’s luscious pop child. The group included Jon Roper (guitar), performing mostly original songs written by Gowan. Several recordings were released on cassette. Now those are hidden away in boxes...somewhere. Eventually James Ong (keyboards) and Eduardo Ottoni (drums) joined, and with a fuller sound developing, the band released their debut CD entitled This Thin Disguise.

Keyboardist extraordinaire, James Ong, reached out to me yesterday and asked to simply give them a listen. I did.

And I instantly fell in love with the track Today.

You should do the same.

mp3:
Spygirl - Today

(If that was too drastic for y'all, I have a MEGA post with a huge zip file of remixes for your ears. You'll spank, er thank, no SPANK me later. YA!)