* (for whatever reason, I've been receiving a plethora of emails re: a post I did at the beginning of summer, in which my twisted little brain concocted imaginary block parties and the music that would be played at each. apparently, you want to see more of my warped dreamings on this site, so without further ado, let's start by re-posting the original*!)

Seeing as how we're almost at the summer solstice, I've been going though the archives making playlists and assortments of wonder that signify "getting down in the dog days".


Thought it would be more fun to throw a wrench into the standard system and create my own idealistic block parties, each with a differing theme/choice of musical stylings and selections. (pressed for time, but not quality, so we're gonna do 3 songs per party.)

Let's have at it. Someone toss me the mustard, a frisbee and my Avia's.


I Spent Spring Term in Europe...Let's Celebrate My Return With a Block Party
There's always one in the crowd. They've just finished a term abroad and return, gloriously tanned, scoffing at your American fare of weiners and beans. I'm pretty sure any or all of these songs would be on heavy rotation during such occurrences. Funny thing is; on your transatlantic flight back, we got ahold of these songs, so don't try to tell us you have something new and grounbreaking to hear. We'll consume it together.
Bertine Zetlitz - Fake Your Beauty
Estelle - American Boy
Sugababes - Red Dress


Me and My Crew Wish it Was the Grimy Summers of the 70's Block Party
This wouldn't be a half bad party. If you didn't have to stare at your absurdly skinny male friends' wildly hairy legs and abnormally large cubes trying to escape from his Daisy Dukes.
ABBA - Summer Night City
Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine
Toto - Hold the Line


Me and My Crew Wish it Was the Grimy Summers of the 80's Block Party
See description above for the 70's theme. That pretty much applies here too.
Tom Tom Club - Genius of Love
Laura Branigan - Gloria
Hall & Oates - I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)


I'm Just, I'm Just Sheena Beaston from the Block...Party
Hurry up and jump over to my stoop or you'll miss a chance to get your hair did. After that, I'm'a bust my mad b-girl skills out whilst on my cardboard square. No front. I will school you to any of these songs, and more.
Run DMC - Tricky
Beastie Boys - Egg Man
Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard


Yes, My Formative Years Were the Early Early 90's, So Let's Just Have a Block Party
Urban pop was big and I'm big on it. So why not have a party commemorating it. Someone tap Terry Lewis and Jimmy Jam to see if they're awake and wanna swing on by.
Keith Sweat - Make You Sweat
SWV - I'm So Into You
Janet Jackson - Escapade

I could go on for hours and hours creating such cornucopiac masterpieces, but it's gorgeous out and for once, I'd like to enjoy. I'll be having a block party in my head jamming out to each and every one of the aformentioned. Follow suit!

* (since the inception of this post in original form, we've moved servers and hosters, so initially, although we had an mp3 of each and every one of those tunes for you, we've since taken 'em down. instead, enjoy some other summerly tunes...and hey, while you're at it, go on and have an autumnal block party!)

mp3: Bananarama - Cruel Summer
mp3: A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It
mp3: Lisa Left Eye Lopes - Block Party