When my Grandma was still alive, we'd often have talks about things in her day as opposed to what was going on in modern times. What perplexed her most was "those Lebanese". (more commonly referred to in modern society, as lesbians)


Grandma aside, this summer has seen a boom in popular music adapting to alternative lifestyles. Forget be-bop. Call it the Bi-Bop-Boom if you will. With Katy Perry's mediocre I Kissed a Girl leading the pack (why?) and the charts, it appears that smooching a sister has become trendier and trendier among the tweenager crowd.
Sample lyric: I kissed a girl and I liked it / the taste of her cherry chap stick

Another favorite of the tween set, The Veronicas, have just unleashed a video for their single, Take Me On the Floor. The video is chock full of dance floor girl-on-girl action from basic bumping and grinding to innuendos of a femme fatale rising from her knees after being perched in front of her lady counterpart.
Sample lyric: Take me on the floor / I can't take it anymore / I wanna kiss a girl / I wanna kiss a boy

Now, we have Little Jackie's take on the scene. Guys Like When Girls Kiss is worlds better, musically speaking, than the two aforementioned. But the central theme is still there. It just sounds sweeter with the harmonic motown vibe behind it.
Sample lyric: I'm perplexed by the opposite sex / tell you what's next / where I'm gonna direct my love and affection / I'm gonna get with a woman

And let's not forget her mother majesty, Madonna tongue screwed her female dancer during her Hard Candy promo tour. But let's be reasonable. She WAS in the midst of performing, so a thank you was probably the last thing on her mind and their faces were relatively close anyways...so a kiss was enough to suffice.

What say you about the nature of this beast? While I am 100% supportive of any and all lifestyles (and on more than once occassion MAY have enjoyed each of these songs), there comes a point when your largest fan bases (whether it be your intention or not) fall in the middle school age-range and simulated acts of a mature nature are in every other video that they frequent. Is it corrupting our youth? NO! But, expect to see a lot more dabblers and experimenters.

If I was a popular music artist, I'd come out with a song called Me and My Boyfriend Just Made Out a Little Bit, but We Didn't Really Use Tongue When We Kissed, and see if THAT raises eyebrows.

mp3: The Veronicas - Take Me On the Floor
mp3: Little Jackie - Guys Like When Girls Kiss