A new feature has arisen! In Meritorious Defense Of... will be a weekly (or so) post dedicated to showing love and support for a particular track(s) that would otherwise have me deny I know anything by said artist. The songs don't neccessarily have to be new, just something slightly better than the worst offered.

For example: looking on your iPod you notice the artist Leona Lewis. And you think to yourself, why would I have her on here...I hate Bleeding Love?!? And then you remember, "Hmm, I WAS getting down to Misses Glass for a hot second during an unfortunate week back in February. YIKES!" THAT'S the kind of song we have all sorts of Meritorious Defense for.

And what I'd really enjoy, is if I could get some suggestions from the audience. I mean, everyone does have the right to a fair trial by a jury of their peers, right? (so send me your "best of the worsts" here.)


What better way to kick it off than by bouncing along with the least hated (maybe?) member of the Black Eyed Peas. (all mp3's in these posts will appear as/after the defendant's number/name)

Defendant #1: Will.I.Am - Heartbreaker
Case Against: Wild haired, bespecktacled, semi-talented producer who made such stinkers as My Humps and anything Fergie-related.
Case For: The sole salvation of his solo effort Songs About Girls is the mid-tempo Heartbreaker.
Verdict: Good enough to listen to once every month and not get entirely sick of it. Although I felt it could have used a great remix by someone random like Gonzales and it would've flown!

Defendant #2: Blink 182 - Feeling This
Case Against: While I do dig guys with lip piercings and tattoos, never have I enjoyed a Blink 182, or for that matter, fake punk song.
Case For: "Fate fell short this time...your smile fades in the summer." You can't beat lyrics that. If you're Blink 182.
Verdict: I'll keep this one. You can have the rest of their catalogue.

Defendant #3: Lil' Mo - Superwoman
Case Against: Name another Lil' Mo song. EXACTLY.
Case For: Lil Mo's half rapping/half talking about how she's gonna save you with her superpowers, even though she's only human. Gotta love a false sense of irony.
Verdict: The use of the verbiage "chickenheads" has me sold. And this is more often than not a staple of my dance party playlists due, in large part, to some ferocious remixes.