(click images for full size)

On a sweltering 97° evening, packed into the Ludlow & Rivington Steve Madden Store, Katy Perry played a brief 3 song acoustic set to launch Steve Madden Music. Free vodka and champagne was flowing, but it was Ms. Perry who kept us cool with her chilled vibe and catchy tunes.


Beginning with One of the Boys, the crowd seemed a bit sluggish at first, most likely due to the heat. But that soon changed as she launched into UR So Gay, which had most everyone singing along. Singing with passion and great intensity (albeit through a few daggered glances at accompaniest, Ethan, who seemed to hit an incorrect note here or there), it's no wonder that she has jumped to the forefront of radioplay and mainstream media as of late.

To finish off the set, Perry performed none other than the latest smash, I Kissed a Girl. Asking the audience to sing along, we obliged.

Overall, it was a solid performance. I really dig her brand of pop, as there are often moments of electro tossed in, but it's the acoustic performances that are really able to highlight an artist's raw talents.


After the performance ended, I was able to snag Ms. Perry for a brief moment to ask her some questions.

On hearing Madonna shout her out
"I was like, oh my god, where's my [fucking] inhaler, I think I'm going to pass out. It's every little girl's dream!"

On her plans after Warped Tour
"I'll be going on tour myself. We're gonna hit up Japan, Europe, Australia."

On who will be going on tour with her
"I can't tell you that yet, but I can tell you that it's going to be fucking insane!"

Travis from Gym Class Heroes was also in attendance. The band is also on the Warped Tour bill and, if you recall, Katy appeared in their video for Cupid's Chokehold. Potential tour mates? That remains to be seen.

mp3: Katy Perry - One of the Boys