Unearthing a hidden gem like the blog over at Electro Retro gave me such a sense of overflowing dancetastic pride that I HAD to get it's creator to share his insight with you.


Thankfully, he obliged...and let me tell you, if there was ever a male version of me in terms of heartpumping, feet-exploding, chest-pounding beat loving, then Gustavo, I tip my cap to you! Between his love of Goldfrapp (heart!), Kylie (heart!) and other lesser known acts such as Huski and iiO (heart them both!), I know I can always count on Electro Retro to fulfill my sweat induced banging needs.

Take it away Gustavo...

1. What made you want to start a music blog/when did you start your blog?
Well I was introduced to the blogging world through Ali's Blog. I visited often and I thought it was a really neat idea to be able to speak to an audience and introduce artists to people who don't know about them yet. I'm a HUGE music freak, I purchase music more than I do anything else (Ha, I know thats bad!) but I can't help it. Music gives me this release that I can't find anywhere else. Music is what I am. So I thought to myself, well I do have a pretty big collection and it's only getting bigger, might as well share it with everyone else. So I opened up Electro Retro back in December of 2007. At that time, things were not going as I planned, so it took some time to get my mojo going, but I think the amazing people who visit my blog love what I post. I just feel lucky that I can express what I love so much with people from all over the world, it's a damn good feeling. I think now, my site is pretty much where I want it to be. I believe it stands out more then other blogs because other blogs are generic in that they only post Pop or Hip-Hop, thats not me. Music is my calling.


2. What are your top 5 favorite songs of all time? (Any supporting info/personal tales recalling why it’s one of your favorites are more than accepted)
Wow wow wow wooow, thats a tough one. I think thats my new catch phrase! Ok so let me think..... ok got it. Take in mind these are in no particular order.

1. Blondie - Heart Of Glass (The song is a classic, No one can ever fill Blondie's shoes. This song paved the way for the music we have today. Give props where props are due.)

2. Goldfrapp - Let It Take U (Goldfrapp, I believe, is such an amazing artist. She is my favorite artist of all time, and I just LOVE her. The song is so soft yet raw, it taps into the warmest part of me. It takes me to a place I never thought I can be, a dream. I tear up when I hear it.)

3. Tavares - Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel (My mom used to sing this song to me. My Mom is the most amazing person I have ever known. We've been through a lot. My father used to abuse us, and she had the courage to take control of not only her life but mine. I love her for sacrificing everything to give me a better life. She has also accepted me for who I am. I LOVE my Mom!)

4. Selena - Dreaming Of You (A lot of people don't know about Selena, it's a shame. Selena was a Latina artist who paved the road not only for other Latinas in the music industry, but Latinos in general. Selena was just genuine, and true to who she was. I was a little kid when the song came out, the song gave me hope that one day I can be whatever I wanted to be. That I can do more than just dream.)

5. Beyonce - Me, Myself, and I (This song is so important to me. I was going through a lot during this time. I was coming to terms about my sexuality and I remember just feeling the lowest I could ever be. There was this one guy that I was so into at the time, I guess you can say my first love. We talked for a while and things progressed little by little. When we finally had the courage to be together and I remember just feeling so alive for the first time. Word got out about our relationship, I went to a really homophobic school. Long story short, I got jumped by about 15 guys, the guy I was with got his car trashed and no one got punished. His parents beat him for finding out the truth and made him move to California to stay with relatives. They thought it was all my fault. He left without saying goodbye and I was left to pick up the pieces. I realized at that moment that in life, all you have is Me, Myself, and I. Now I am strong, I'm happy.)

I also love "Hung Up" from Madonna and "Fragile" from Kylie Minogue, great songs.


3. What is your ideal band formation… can be anyone alive or dead, from any genre. Must include at least a lead singer, lead guitar, bass guitar and drummer. (Bonus points for backup singers/keyboardists. keytarists/etc….)
I would get Alison Goldfrapp to be the lead singer, Madonna and Kylie can be back up singers. (Ha, like Madonna could sing!) Will Gregory can be the keyboardist, he is an inspiration. I don't know too much about guitartist or drummers. I guess Madonna and Kylie can do that too, hahaha! I love them all, why don't they just get together and make a track. That would be my dream come true, I would be able to die in peace after that. Imagine the message they could send! Women are like gay men, they have too much pride to work together. Haha!


4. Any other blogs, music or non-music related, that you recommend going to on a regular basis?
My boy Vamsuli has an AMAZING site, it's called Love Kylie. Vamsuli has been an amazing partner in crime and has helped me out with a lot. He also has another site called Please Don't Stop The Music, he's taking a break from it, but hopefully he will be back soon. Also Erin has an amazing site, it's called Magnetic Electric, Erin has been there from the beginning, and has given me strength to continue when I have none. Actually, it was when my site was on the brink of being shut down, I seen a comment she posted, and it meant a lot to me. I want to thank them both. Their sites are amazing so check them out. Also, I have some websites you can visit in my affiliates column on my website, they're amazing and I want to thank them for their amazing support.


5. Any guilty pleasure songs that you might not readily admit to liking?
Oh man, I'm going to get killed for this. Ok one song that I absolutely love but will never tell a soul, or be caught listening to is Katalina's DJ Girl, it was recorded back in 1996, back when dance was in. A close second would be Mariah's Touch My Body. I HATE Mariah, I don't even know why, I just do. It's not because I'm a Madonna fan because I could care less about little rivalries. The song has grown on me I hate to admit. Don't stone me to death now guys.


6. Who’s next?
There are a couple of artists I'm really rooting for. Kat DeLuna I believe has so much potential, she has a great voice, she can dance, and she seems to be very down to earth. I hope she makes it. I wish Goldfrapp has much bigger success, but her style is left field. Dragonette, I'm amazed they did not blow up, there songs were catchy and perfect. The industry amazes me, I see some artists here in The States make it with no effort with no talent, and I see others who struggle and deserve to make it but don't. Take Britney Spears for example, I like her music, but I do not believe she should have gotten as much sales as she did for no promotion. I HATE Hollywood, someone should bomb it. No, I'm playing. But sometimes I feel so ashamed for living in this country, the world is turning into a sad place. Crystal Castles is another group, there album completely blew me away, I wish them success in their career.


Much love and many thanks to Gustavo and Electro Retro...now go hit up his site!