It's been a while since I've had a featured site on here. So why not get back in the groove with a spectacular site whose creator is based on the same hometurf as me.


Here we go...


1. What made you want to start a blog/when did you start your blog?
To be honest, am.fm.pm was born of boredom. At both work and home, I found that a person can in fact reach the end of the internet, and upon hitting that content nadir, I basically decided to put together the kind of site that I thought I would want to hit up every day. Something with which I could plug my friends’ projects, my own writing, and trumpet fresh music- all with an eye on the broader media landscape. am.fm.pm will be a year old in May, and looking back, much of 2007’s content is pretty rough. I jumped back and forth between referring to myself in the 3rd person, there was little uniform formatting, and, ultimate blog sin: most mp3s were pulled and hosted by dex digging Google. But we’re better now.


2. What are your top 5 favorite songs of all time?
I could spit epic essays on each of these, but in the interest of curbing my own verbosity:

The Lovin’ Spoonful “Younger Generation”
The Bens “Bruised”
Earth, Wind, and Fire “September”
The Five Stairsteps “Ooh Child”
Jeff Moss “I Don’t Want to Live on the Moon” (as performed by Ernie)


3. What is your ideal band formation…can be anyone alive or dead, from any genre. Must include at least a lead singer, lead guitar, bass guitar and drummer. (Bonus points for backup singers/keyboardists. keytarists/etc….)

Lead singer: Stevie Wonder. Journey’s Neal Schon on lead guitar. Bass: Lemmy from Motorhead. Rahzel on percussion. Bandleader: Maceo Parker. Backup singers: The Chi-Lites.


4. Any other blogs, music or non-music related, that you recommend going to on a regular basis?

Street Carnage, a relatively new site developed by Gavin McInnes (cofounder of Vice Magazine) and Derrick Beckles (TV Carnage) is fucking amazing. It’s Vice with heavy pop sensibilities, and they have great contributors like Jim Goad and David Cross. Richcolour’s Mastermix Dot Org doesn’t update too often, but the wealth of media to explore is worth taking your time with. And the Upright Citizen’s Brigade Theater just launched a video portal, UCBComedy.com, with some of the better sketch materiel on the web right now, conveniently available without having to sift through YouTube crap.


5. Any guilty pleasure songs that you might not readily admit to liking?
Much of my site’s music content is build around what I like to call Shame Jams. There’s something liberating about being able to take to quotation marks of “irony” off a lame song and enjoy it for what it is, you know? People love to hate on Hall and Oates, Michael McDonald, etc. Fact of the matter is, artists like that are responsible for some of the juiciest pop music of all time. On the flip side of the coin though, you have genuinely terrible music that no one should listen to. Ever. That’s a Shame Jam. So I’ve got to fess up to Moby’s “Feeling So Real”, and Prozzak’s “Sucks To Be You”.


6. Who's next?
I feel like Los Campesinos out of the UK are gonna take the States by storm come this fall. Wait ‘till the college kids are back in town. It’ll happen.


7. I'm casting your movie biopic...who is playing the lead as you?
Fat Jared Jeto. No. Wait. Liev Schrieber. Fat Liev Schrieber.


8. Best concert experience?
My best concert experience was Daft Punk at Keyspan Park, August 2007. To quote my little brother, “I had a crygasm”. But my favorite concert story is probably from one I played. In high school, I was in a punk band called The Briggands, later named Trisomy. We never really took ourselves too seriously, but played any of the local Battle of the Bands that came around our area. Our town’s Youth Basketball League sponsored one such competition towards the end of the school year once, and when the backstage straw pull to determine playing order went down, The Briggands came up first.

The set was fine, though the Youth Basketball supporters were a little sleepy. We closed our set as always with this track called “Undertow”, a thinly veiled metaphor for getting high with our crew, under the guise of a surf song. (Even though we all lived in northern, landlocked Massachusetts.) As the song began, I gave a shout out for our people, a 30+ gang called The Four, to join us up on stage. The song progressed as usual. But come the second chorus, I turned around for brief moment to see my friend Matt flying at a perfect horizontal angle into my friend Darby’s stomach. The rowdiness registered, but I didn’t address it. We finished the song, the playlist, said thanks, and left the stage.

As soon as we were off, Mr. Hamilton, the with it middle school music teacher, and a league of angry basketball moms- queens of the cold cream lagoon- were waiting for us in the wings. We were informed that during the set, not only had everybody been fighting, but had been flipping off the audience, dry humping each other, and that our friend Cole had completely dropped trou’ on stage. The police came, and needless to say, we didn’t win the Sam Goody gift certificate. Then again, the kids that won covered two fucking Fuel songs. So we didn’t feel too bad about it.


9. If you could have any artist's career (musician, painter, actor, athlete, etc...) who would it be and why?

Gotta be Prince. The freedoms he was allowed by Warner as a young artist, his strict adherence to his own tastes and standards over the years, his refusal to compromise when he felt stifled by the labels- even after all the negativity that’s been thrown his way for stuff like Nave Un2 the Joy Fantastic, 30(!) years after his first album he gets to sit back, arms crossed and say “I told you so”.


10. You're throwing a party for celebs...who brings the chips and who brings the booze?
I don’t really care for vodka outside of a dirty martini, but maybe Vincent Gallo and RZA could hook it up with some Belvedere. You know, before Gallo says something terrible to a black girl and is asked to leave. Snacks would be on MF Doom, not only because of MM..Food, but he’d probs bring good shit, like Little Debbie snack cakes. And he could hang with RZA when I kick Vincent Gallo out.

Tune your web dials into am.fm.pm to get daily doses of tasty music!